Trip duration: 4,5 h Distance: 40 km Elevation: 624 m Highest point: 1026 m Size of the group: Max 5 people
Difficulty: The tour is fully adjustable to your skills and fitness level.
Meeting point: Tavčar Manor in Ljubljana or pick up at your location upon agreement.
ABOUT THE TOUR
Have you ever heard of Poljanska dolina? Most likely not, because “the valley of fields” still remains undiscovered among the tourists. It is located just 30km from our capital city Ljubljana on the north side of Polhograjski Dolomiti and south side of Škofja Loka hills. With its endless farming fields, you will truly understand why we call Slovenia the GREEN country.
Our starting point is going to be Tavčar Manor (from 17th century) in Visoko, named after the Slovenian writer and politician Ivan Tavčar – most known by his historical novel “Visoška kronika” (The Visoko chronicles). From an imposing bronze statue of the writer, which faces towards his birthplace – Poljane, we will ride our bikes on an easy gravel road by the river of Poljanska Sora towards the Municipality of Gorenja Vas. After the flat part of our bike tour, we will reach the village Hotavlje and now the terrain is going to get steep, but with the use of e-bikes, we are going to reach the top of the hills (Slajka) quite easy. Now the real fun begins. We will cycle on many different types of terrain, some less and some more challenging, with an astonishing panoramic view over the whole valley. Arriving at Ermanovec, where we will stop for some small snack and a real Turkish coffee, we will continue biking along the historical Rapallo border and discussing things of the last century. Finally, a very long asphalt descent is going to lead us through the valley of Kopačnica, where we will stop for a deserved refreshment in the natural spring.
With the biking part almost finished we will stop at the local Cheese farm Pustotnik, where a long tradition of Slovenian cheese is made. Friendly locals are going to guide us through the process of making cheese and prepare the degustation of their finest products. After degustation, we will go back to our starting point, where we will also finish our Poljanska Dolina mountain biking tour.
WHAT WILL I EXPERIENCE?
- The Rapallo border (1st world war, 244km length, divided into 70 sections),
- Javorč (Rupnik line from 2nd world war), Goli vrh, Mrzli vrh,
- Valley of Kopačnica – The natural thermal springs (23,4 degrees C),
- Viewpoints Ermanovec and Slajka (offers endless views over green farming fields in the pre-Alp region in Slovenia towards the Julian Alps and the Sea),
- Guided tour of local Pustotnik cheese factory, followed by a lovely degustation of its products, OR,
- Guided tour of local microbrewery Crazy Duck and degustation of finest beer selection.
- Rent of high-performance eMTB
- Professional local guide